COTA to launch transit discount program on March 1
COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – The Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA) announced that it will launch a six-month pilot program on March 1 to extend public transit discounts to people who receive public income assistance.
The “COTA Income Assistance Program” will provide a 50% discount to people to “improve fairness in public transit fares.” To qualify, you must participate in a national income assistance program.
These six programs include:
- SNAP Food Aid
- State-funded childcare
- Ohio Works First Cash Assistance
- Prevention, retention and emergency aid in case of emergency
- Medical help
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
“COTA’s Income Assistance Pilot Program is an important extension of our commitment to providing equitable access to our customers who need it most,” said Angel Mumma, COTA’s Chief Financial Officer.
Mumma added, “We are excited to implement this program using our new digital fare payment system, which enables fare capping so that all customers are offered the best fare for their travels. »
Eligible individuals can apply starting March 1 at the COTA Customer Experience Center at 33 N. High St. Those who apply will need to be verified by an eligible agency to receive reduced rates.
Those who get discounts will have their rates capped at $2.25 per day and $31 per month.
In addition to the March 1 application pop-up at N. High St., COTA will have six additional locations throughout March to assist those who apply.
COTA Income Assistance Popup Locations Schedule
- 3RD OF MARCH (11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.) – Hilltop Branch of the Columbus Metro Library – 511 S. Hague Ave.
- MARCH 4 (11 a.m. – 4 p.m.) – Whitehall Branch of Columbus Metro Library – 4445 E. Broad St.
- MARCH 7 (11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.) – Parsons Branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library – 1113 Parsons Ave.
- MARCH 9 (11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.) – Northern Lights Branch of Columbus Metro Library – 4093 Cleveland Ave.
- MARCH 19 (10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.) – YMCA Van Buren Shelter – 595 Van Buren Drive
- MARCH 23 (9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.) – Our Lady of Guadalupe Center – 409 Industry Drive
For more information on the program, click here.
Suggest a fix